Thursday, March 27, 2008

Out and About--
























Omri by the Navile canal by our apartments. And Larry and I being friendly, each listening by headphone to his book on his MP3 player.

There was a one day strike last Fri. at the IperCo-op. Larry went in to buy something and union reps were standing outside handing out this leaflet. The workers have been nearly a year with no contract, they walked off and managers were the cashiers. There were no pickets!! Apparently it was throughout Emilia Romagna (the region) because I noticed the Co-op supermarket was also closed in Reggio Emilia...
































The historic landmarks of Bologna, le due torre, built around 900-1000.
People meet there on the tiny island of pavement below them.Here is a photo of Larry, and our friend Bob, suddenly running into Professore Luca Zan on his bike.

Here is Larry in front of the old mercantile bldg across from the Due Torre.







I shot this from the bottom of the taller tower against the sky.




For a change we took the #20 to the end of the line, a town called Casalecchio di Reno. Very lovely, slower paced than Bologna and a wonderful place to walk. We saw the foothills of the Appennines. And ate at a Fusion restaurant!




We are standing on the weir in the river.


















back at home, enjoying caffe doppio outside in the Piazza Maggiore, Bologna

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear friends,
I am so glad to see you are enjoying yourselves, as well as working! The architecture (and weather, too!) look amazing. Don't hurry back yet. We are 'basking' in the glory of a very solid 5 degrees above zero, and withstanding wind gusts up to about 80km per h. At least the sun is shining. I hope your Italian is improving rapidly; I should sign up now for some lessons when you return! Nikolai and I send you good thoughts for continued enjoyment of work and play :)
Tatjana